Monday 20 June 2016

Grandma's umbrella song

#doodlejune is posted daily to
 https://www.instagram.com/stickstitchcut/




20 June
Grandma's umbrella song. I have previously blogged about a sweet vintage embroidery pattern and a photo with me, my umbrella and my Grandma,  however since that blog is now offline I thought I'd post an excerpt here. It covers perfectly my soft spot for umbrellas.


[originally posted 15 April 2013]

...as soon as I saw the pattern it reminded me of my love of umbrellas as a little girl. My Grandma used to give me umbrellas. Well, in my memory she *always* gave me umbrellas. I'm not sure what the reality was, perhaps it was only one ...or maybe two? ...or maybe she gave me one, and I was expecting another when she came back next time? - I'll have to check with my parents, but she gave me at least one, as seen in this photo (from about 1977, I'd say).
I saw this picture again this past weekend during a visit to my parents' house and took a quick photo of it hanging in a collection on the wall. It's a little skewed due to the angle necessary to avoid the flash against the glass in the dark hallway. After seeing the photo again, I am now more motivated to get the embroidery done. I might do it on card stock for a scrapbook page.
What's that you say? Look at the little hippy chick? Well, what would you expect? My dad was the scoundrel new young teacher sent from inner city Sydney to his first teaching post in country New South Wales, wearing his green flares, purple paisley shirt, and wild long hair (not quite afro, but let's talk it up!). Dad grew up into a sensible librarian. And so did I. He escaped into retirement ...and well, I've escaped this year at least into long service leave. [update - and now forever too]
Now, back to the umbrellas ... the other strong memory I have is a song my Grandma taught and sang me, and I now sing with my two little boys just younger and just older as I was in the photo here. Although, I must say, I only know the first verse....
One rainy morning
A large umbrella crossed the street
Big, black and shiny
Covering someone tiny
And all that we could see were two small feet
In and out the traffic
Dodging here and there
That umbrella went with a Don't-Care air
I said in wonder
Who is that down under
Hugging that umbrella like a teddy bear
Horns started blaring
Everyone was staring
At that strange object in the street
Big black and shiny
Covering someone tiny
And all that we could see were two small feet
Then a young policeman
Called out from his beat
"That umbrella there has a boy down deep"
He swooped down under
Pulled out Billy Blunder
Just a tiny truant from his morning's sleep
Now Billy Blunder
Who was once down under
Recites by heart his safety code
"When you are out
In rain or hail or thunder
Hold up your umbrella when you cross the road!"

No comments:

Post a Comment